Tuesday, 24 October 2006

When you are "Stuck"

Are you a struggling artist? Do you battle every day trying to keep your feet on the ground. Does your mind constantly tell you "not good enough", etc. etc. Hopefully these few words of wisdom will help put you back on the path.
They are not my own - I wish they were, but like a good student I always acknowledge my sources. They are from that great book by Scott Peck, the "Road less travelled" whenever I am in a stuck place, a "fix" or whatever I just take a dip and I always get what I need - amazing!

Today I did that and I shall share these thoughts with you.
......To deal with the pain of problem solving ........ we must dedicate ourselves to the truth. For truth is reality. That which is false is unreal. The more clearly we see the reality of the world, the better equipped we are to deal with the world..."
To artists, this is such great advise when you are mired in your own self-deceptions - take a look outside your window - look at the sunlight on a tree, on a rock, on a building - what a gift we have to be able to see these things! then...... GO PAINT IT! Yes, paint what you see not what you know. And who knows- that forest that you love so much may well not be there in 100 years and it is your duty as an artist to record it. Right?
It is amazing how that simple act of focus and concentration brings you back to what is real. Who cares how many or how few pictures you sold this month! is the joyous act of painting which feeds the soul.

Enjoy, take heart, keep trying.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: text