Monday, 07 July 2008

Affiliate marketing

It took me a while to understand what Affiliate marketing is all about and I must admit I am still not sure how it works. Sceptics say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Although I am a bit of a sceptic, I also am naive enough to think that so many people claim that this type of marketing works for them, so I am giving it a try myself.
Being in the Art business, I decided to try making an affiliate site with Allposters.com which offers great ideas for Affiliates. From what I can work out, they give you the html for their store and links to all their products. You simply copy this html into your page and voila, you have your own store. Your affiliate ID is attached to the code and every time a sale is made from any of these products, it is traced back to your webpage ID and you are credited with a percentage. My question is of course, if there are millions of affiliates, how are these percentages worked out? Well, I can't get my head around that one and I don't really care. I just like the concept so I am willing to give it a try.
So if anyone out there is kind enough to buy a poster from my site, I would be grateful if you would let me know so that I can trace back the sale to see if it works! If it does, hallelujah we can all be rich. No, really, there is no scepticism there....?
I support the fundamental prinicple behind affiliate marketing. It really is a good thing if it is honestly applied. The idea that everybody benefits from a poster sale is a great one - I mean I would be thrilled to know that if every time I sold a print, someone else was benefitting as well especially in the present depressing times that we find ourselves in the world!

No comments:

Subscribe Now: text