Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Painting for a purpose!

I have always held the view that my painting was my passion- that I do it for the love of it mostly, because I am driven to express a view, an idea, or a message of some sort. Now I find that I am having to produce 5 paintings for the SASA merit exhibition at Kirstenbosch. Having this incentive is a double-edged sword- it is certainly a motivator. I have to paint, in spite of temperatures reaching 38 degrees, howling South-easters through my studio, or crazy dogs that can't stop nagging me to take them for their daily walk.
Summer in Cape Town can be tough and my house does not have air-con, but I am determined to produce new and fresh work for this exhibition. This is the first time I will be showing my reverse painting technique at a Merit exhibition for SASA. I wonder what the response will be?
I found it difficult to settle in to the New Year- finding all sorts of distractions- the garden needs watering, the house needs work, etc etc, but I only have 10 more days to produce 5 paintings I am happy with. So far I have 2, or at a push, 3 that I am OK with. The others still need work, and I am hot, and sweaty and a bit stressed by it all.......

No comments:

Subscribe Now: text